- Running or using sporting equipment inside the library premises and on outside areas where said use may endanger the safety of other patrons is prohibited
- Physically / verbally harassing or assaulting patrons and staff is prohibited
- Carrying on sustained conversations above acceptable noise levels is prohibited
- Using profane or obscene language and gestures on library premises is prohibited
- Carrying, possessing or displaying weapons is prohibited
- Stealing, abusing, defacing or destroying any library property is prohibited
- Eating, drinking and using tobacco (cigarette, cigar and pipe smoking) inside the library is prohibited
- Using, selling or trading alcohol and illegal substances or possessing the same for purposes of using, selling or trading on library premises is prohibited
- Being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs on library premises is prohibited
- Engaging in sexual acts on library premises is prohibited
- Entering into non-public areas of the library and/or using non-public library facilities or equipment without authorization is prohibited
- Soliciting patrons and library personnel is prohibited
- Animals are not permitted inside the library, except service animals assisting patrons
- Use of personal electronic equipment (cellular phones, laptop computers, tape recorders, camera’s and the like) may be limited to certain areas of the library and must not interfere with other library users or staff.
- Proper dress is required (shoes and shirts are required)
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children in the library
- Patrons may be barred from use of the library for certain behaviors. For information on and clarification of the process, contact the administration office.
Unattended Child Policy
· Parents and caregivers, not the library staff, are responsible for children’s safety and behavior in the library.
· Children under the age of 10 must be accompanied and adequately supervised by a responsible caregiver, and children under the age of 6 must be in the immediate vicinity of that caregiver at all times. Library staff may supervise children for the duration of certain programs, but caregivers should remain in the building.
· Young people age 10 and older may visit the library independently, but they are still the legal responsibility of their parents. Young people who visit the library by themselves must know how to reach a responsible caregiver in case of emergencies, health and safety issues, inappropriate behavior, or early closure.
· If a young person’s behavior is unduly disruptive, he or she may not be allowed to remain in the library or to visit again unaccompanied.
· If any young person remains at the library 15 minutes after closing, staff may call the proper authorities.
- The display of any obscene or violent graphics is prohibited
- The display or transmission of profane, abusive, or threatening language is prohibited.
- Unauthorized copying of copyright protected materials is prohibited.
We will accept the following materials in MINT condition only:
1. Adult hardcover and paperback books.
2. Children’s hardcover and paperback books.
3. Young adult hardcover and paperback books.
4. Compact discs in original cases.
5. DVDs in original sleeves.
6. Unabridged books on CD in original packaging.
We will not accept the following:
1. Any materials that have odors or stains.
2. Any materials that have been stored in attics, cellars or garages.
5. Readers Digest condensed books.
6. Magazines of any kind.
7. Vinyl record albums.
9. Computer games and software
10. Computers and other electronic items.
11. Puzzles, games and toys, including stuffed animals.
12. Video cassettes.
13. Books on tape.
Federal regulations prohibit the library from giving estimates of value for donated materials. All donations become the property of the Cranston Public Library and are added to the collection, sold in the library book sale, or discarded.
3D Printing Policy
The library maintains a Makerbot Replicator 2X 3D printer for use by the public in the library’s classroom or lab setting only. Use of the 3D printer is at the discretion of library staff. Please see attached policy and procedures guidelines below: