CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
LIBRARY ASSISTANT III
LIBRARY COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Come work for an award-winning library system that values a commitment to public service, innovative thinking and supports the professional development of its library staff. The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of Library Assistant III- Library Communications Manager. This position requires a high level of creativity, attention to detail, organization and adaptability to changing priorities daily. This is a full time 35 hour per week union position and is located at the Central Library. Works under the general direction of the Library Director and Assistant Director.
This position will be responsible for the development and implementation of all marketing and communications strategies for library branding, programming and activities. The Library Communications Manager will also be the lead in the monitoring of CPL’s mission, vision, values, brand identity and reputation in all consumer-facing media channels, collateral and content.
The ideal candidate can show demonstrated success in designing digital and print marketing collateral from start to completion with limited supervision and is well-rounded in social media and website content management.
The Cranston Public Library (CPL) system consists of a central library with five branch locations. CPL serves a population of 80,000 residents and is one of the busiest public libraries in Rhode Island. In 2016 CPL received the LibraryAware Community Award and in 2015 was named Library of the Year by the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Library and Information Studies. CPL is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium.
The Cranston Public Library is committed to creating and maintaining a staff that gives open expression to the Library’s organizational values and brings a rich diversity of peoples and talents to the accomplishment of the Library’s Mission.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.
For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range begins at $36,224.47; $37,565.81 after a six-month probationary period.
Full benefits package including vacation, sick time, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
- Associates or Bachelor degree in graphic design, marketing, communications or similar preferred.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
- 2-5 years of professional experience in graphic design. Sample of projects required.
- 1-2 years of professional experience in social media. Examples of professional accounts that you have managed are required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides creative services for every department within the organization.
- Must be comfortable working with CPL’s brand guidelines. Maintains library branding by instituting brand standards and consistency in all library materials, signage and communications.
- Must be able to design various types of digital and print materials from start to completion with limited supervision.
- Designs, edits, prints and distributes library publications including newsletters, informational brochures, annual reports and flyers that promote library services, programs and activities.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of all marketing and communications strategies for library branding, programming and activities.
- Designs and distributes the library digital newsletter.
- Manages and schedules the library’s social media campaigns.
- Maintains portions of the library’s web page as needed.
- Manages content for the library’s digital signage.
- Acts on behalf of the Library Director and Assistant Director for media requests and at community events as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Google Suite
- Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Excellent creative writing skills
- Proficiency in photography, videography, and post-production using professional photo and video editing software.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Ability to resolve conflict with staff and library users.
- Experience with public relations and writing press releases.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Hootsuite or other social media scheduling software
- Experience with Constant Contact
- Drupal CMS
- Experience in designing infographics
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please submit a letter of interest, resume and samples of your graphic design work and social media experience to Edward Garcia, Library Director at email@example.com
Applications received by July 30th will receive first consideration.