Cranston Public Library 3-D Printer Use Policy
The library maintains 3-D Printers for use by the public in the Central library C-Lab. Patrons must sign a copy of this agreement. Copies are available at the Reference Desk.
- Use of the 3-D Printer is at the discretion of library staff. The library reserves the right to deny use of the equipment.
- The 3-D printer may only be used by library cardholders.
- It is expressly prohibited:
- To print any guns, gun parts, knives, weapons or objects that are intended to physically harm, or attempt to harm, a person or animal in any way. R.I.G.L. § 11-47-8 prohibits the possession and manufacture of 3D printed firearms.
- To print materials considered inappropriate for a public environment including content that is obscene or harmful to minors.
- To print any object that violates or infringes upon a patent, trademark, or other proprietary right. Use of the 3-D Printer and associated equipment shall follow all legal guidelines. U.S. Copyright Law governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
- The library prohibits any use of the 3D printer that violates local, state and federal law; including the Undetectable Firearms Act(opens in a new tab).
- The library does not guarantee a successful print. Unless the print fails to finish, the cost of the completed print, regardless of quality, will still be charged.
- Items that are not picked up after a month will become property of the Cranston Public Library. Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them.
- A charge in the amount of the print’s cost will be added to the patron’s record for any unclaimed items.
- Only designated library staff and trained patrons will have access to the 3-D printer.
- The library is not responsible for the subsequent safety of any item made with the 3-D printer.
- If a 0-2 hour print fails, it may be attempted only one more time without charge. If a 3-5 hour print fails, any additional attempts will be charged.
For more detailed information on 3D printing at the library please see our 3D printing page.
Approved by the Cranston Public Library Board of Trustees 11/12/2014.
Revised on September 10, 2020
Revised on June 14, 2023